Stitches and Sutures

I'm a 25-year-old second-year medical student living in Ontario, Canada. I'm pretty sure that the only way to stay sane in medical school is to have a life outside of medical school, and knitting is one of my chosen diversions.

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Today's mini-craft

My friend has one of those handy keychain door-locker thingies for his car. Sadly, the bit that attaches it to his keychain broke off, so he has to carry it around in his pocket. I think this is a recipe for disaster, or at least for locking the little thingie IN the car where it's not much use at all.

I offered today to crochet him a little holder, and here's what I ended up with:

Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter cotton - some scraps that I had in the stash.
Button: wooden, it's an extra from the ones that I bought for Wee William's Sweater
Pattern: from my little brain (it's basically single crochet from a foundation chain)
Time: I think this took me a total of about 20 minutes. 30, if you count untangling the yarn at the start.

Hooray for innovation!!


I mentioned that I was going to the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival in Toronto this past weekend. I went with high hopes of finding all the yarn and patterns of my dreams, and then some. I took a wad of cash (that I shouldn't be spending, but that's another issue...hello, student loans). In the end, I spent about $35. I think that's worthy of a medal.

What did I get?
- buttons for Wee William's sweater (see above)
- blocking pins (to block WW's sweater)
- the current issue of Interweave Knits, for 30% off
- the Spring/Summer issue of Vogue Knitting, also 30% off (I figured I saved moolah on IK, so I could justify buying a second magazine!)
- ONE MEASLY SKEIN of yarn. It's lovely stuff, though: Shelridge Farms Soft Touch Ultra 100% wool. It's fingering weight, hand-dyed. Colour: straw. I'm going to make this. For ME. At the rate that I start projects for myself, I'm aiming to have it finished before I retire.

I did come up with LOTS of ideas for my sweetie's and my Mom's Christmas shopping lists, though! ;o)

1 Comments:

Blogger sparkli said...

oh my goodness! i love toronto! i would love to live there!

anyways, that's a totally cute thing there... could be a cell phone holder too or mp3 player cozy. i like that yarn much.

i left kemma a note about the profile pic, if you want to check it out, i noticed that you said you were having the same problem. thanks for checking out my blog! :D

11:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home