Stitches and Sutures

I'm a 25-year-old second-year medical student living in Ontario, Canada. I'm pretty sure that the only way to stay sane in medical school is to have a life outside of medical school, and knitting is one of my chosen diversions.

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Halloween

Last night was my class Halloween party. Last year, we went as the Last Saskatchewan Pirate, and his sidekick (Salty Bob). We even had "CO-OP" tattoos (the urbanites in the crowd say, "HUH?").

Anyhow, a costume like that (especially on a Saskatchewanian - my boyfriend - in Ontario) is hard to top. Fortunately, there are people on the net who are far more creative that me - like Alison, of the Blue Blog, whose sons will have amazing knitted costumes this year.

We borrowed her idea (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?) and did the low-quality rendition - although I *did* get out my baby sewing machine for the first time (it was a Christmas present last year, but I'm not a very good sewer so it hasn't had much use), so I guess I deserve a little credit!







We apparently don't own any straight pins, so I had to use scotch tape for "basting". Unfortunately I also opted not to hem the edges of the white cotton that I was using, and pulling the tape off caused the edges to fray. I figure it just added to the slightly crazy look that's fitting for these characters!













Then there was a bit of a challenge, trying to get the enormous shirts to squeeze under the teeny-tiny arm of the sewing machine. Although I suppose that pales in comparison to my difficulties with sewing a straight seam. I think that's a skill I'm going to have to improve before I take up quilting!






And finally, the finished product:


And yes, I have been knitting. We had a full-day palliative care workshop on Friday, and since it was entirely speakers (i.e. not very interactive), I had plenty of knitting time. Sock #1 is done, and sock #2 is well on its way.

Can you tell that grafting toes is my least favourite part? I think I may put it off until both socks are finished, so I only have to subject myself to it once!

I've also started a new project for myself! I realized that I haven't made anything for me in almost a year, so I think it's high time. Here's the beginning:

It's Branching Out, from Knitty (of course). My very first foray into lace knitting. The bottom edge is a little sketchy looking, but otherwise I think it's going okay. Everyone says unblocked lace always looks a bit uninteresting, and I'm hoping that'll prove to be the case here. I've realized, though, that the 30 blocking pins that I own will be sadly insufficient for this project. My birthday is coming up, though...may spend some birthday cash to get some blocking wires!

I like the pattern so far, and the yarn is the lovely wool that I bought at the Creative Needlework and Sewing Festival a few weeks ago. It's the most lovely colour of yellow.

I think my plan is to finish this by Christmas....we'll see if I make it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY! Another knitter who also goes to med school! I'm a third year at UMass in Worcester, my blogging has gone WAY down this year, but you should check it out someday!

8:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home