Stitches and Sutures

I'm a 25-year-old second-year medical student living in Ontario, Canada. I'm pretty sure that the only way to stay sane in medical school is to have a life outside of medical school, and knitting is one of my chosen diversions.

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Sunday, March 26, 2006

The "Q" word

I've discovered that saying the word "quiet" on call causes great, great distress in the other members of my team. They're all convinced that merely uttering the word will cause heart attacks, strokes, pneumonias and gastrenteritis all over the city, and that every poor soul affected by one of these dreaded conditions will descend on the emergency room at our hospital, thus ensuring that none of us will sleep at all that night.

I disagree with that theory. I started saying "quiet" at 2 p.m. yesterday and STILL got six hours of sleep AND did this:


4.5 repeats on Branching Out (I finished repeat #5 today before taking this pic).

The yarn is Kid Silk Haze, for those who are wondering. It has pretty silvery sparkles and is so soft that I just want to pet it all the time, a struggle that Laura has also been facing.

In the "book smart doesn't mean common sense" category: I just discovered that I've been doing YO's wrong. That's right, the single easiest stitch in all of knitting, and I was doing it wrong. I couldn't figure out why my knitting looked so tight. Turns out I was wrapping my YO's the wrong way and ending up with a lot less yarn there.

Once I figured that out, I couldn't stand to do the entire scarf with all the YO's wrong....so I ripped it back, all eight completed repeats, on Thursday. And then yesterday, I cast on again and did almost five repeats, all while I was on call! Craziness!

It was a bit frustrating to have a quiet shift this weekend, because the Boy's brother and sister-in-law were in town, and we haven't seen them in ages. I spent almost their entire time in town at the hospital, and literally saw his sister-in-law (who I really like and haven't seen in ages) for about two minutes. I kept wishing while I was knitting that I was at home, hanging out with them (and knitting of course). However, I'm not complaining too much - it was nice to get almost a full night's sleep on call for once!

Six more days of internal. Two more nights of call. I'm not going to go as far as saying that I wish it was longer, but I *have* enjoyed it....for the most part. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Well, your Branching Out looks lovely (and unsurprisingly, it looks just like mine!). I have to agree - I would have unravelled the whole thing too! Although this yarn is a real pain to tink!

10:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you loved internal medicine because of the highly efficient, highly amusing Neurology resident... _I_ love your Branching Out, and I'm going to bring you a Wave & Shell Baby Blanket pattern tomorrow!

8:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home