Stitches and Sutures

I'm a 25-year-old second-year medical student living in Ontario, Canada. I'm pretty sure that the only way to stay sane in medical school is to have a life outside of medical school, and knitting is one of my chosen diversions.

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Holiday recap

It was +13C on Christmas day in Lethbridge, Alberta. I was outside in a t-shirt. So much for the white Christmas. In fact, I only saw snow once while I was there, and that stuff didn't stick.

However, Christmas was still wonderful. We stayed in a lovely hotel (courtesy of the Boy's grandparents), had our own rental car (a Kia Rio....I know of sewing machines that have more power), and spent lots of time hanging out with the Boy's family - particularly his new nephew, William.

I love babies. I love them. As in, if the Boy had pressed the issue, he could have convinced me to drop out of medical school right now to have a baby. Thankfully, he didn't do that. But oh man, did I ever spend a lot of time filling myself up with that wonderful feeling of rocking a sleeping baby.

I also loving watching the Boy with the baby. He's absolutely crazy about him. It's enough to make anyone melt, and it definitely melts me.



(Sorry it's so dark. I just couldn't wreck the moment with a bright flash.)

We did some after-Christmas shopping in Calgary, which was very fun. And we just spent lots of time hanging out with family and relaxing. This was my first Christmas away from my parents, and although I did have a few brief moments of homesickness, overall it was a really good time. I think it helps that I really like the Boy's family and - as far as I can tell - they like me.

On the 30th, we packed up alllll our stuff (did I mention that we were spoiled rotten at Christmas?) and two suitcases full of books (the Boy has been storing books in his Mom's basement, but he needs them now for school....so every time we go out there, we bring the maximum number of bags home, and fill everything up with books), and we hit the highway. I love driving on the Praries. You just can't beat the skies out there.




We went straight to my parents' place and spent a week with them. We had Christmas morning #2 on the 31st, and we were spoiled rotten again. (I can definitely get used to this two-Christmases-a-year thing.) We spent New Year's with some of my friends from highschool, and on New Year's day we got to see all of my Mom's crazy extended family. The rest of the week was relaxing and family time.

We're really lucky - we both have families that we enjoy spending time with, and we really genuinely like each other's families. You can't do any better than that.

Back to the grind tomorrow. We're spending today unpacking and relaxing with each other....and then we dive into 2006 for real. This year is going to be a crazy one for both of us - I start clerkship tomorrow (that's all the crazy hospital rotations that I have to do) and the Boy is preparing for his huge comprehensive exams in European history, which are in the fall. I keep saying that we just have to survive 2006....but I think we'll aim a little higher and try to ENJOY it too!

I'm sorry....I know you can't see the baby's face in these pics, but since he's not my child, I figure it's not right for me to post identifiable photos of him on the net!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lene Andersen said...

The kid looks cute, even with the face obscured.

Couldn't find your email, so I'm going to go public: thanks for the comment on my 'firstborn' post. I'm so excited I could just burst. ;)

12:07 p.m.  
Blogger Kristen said...

I hope you had a great first week of clerkships and you're able to enjoy the weekend. What section or rotation are you in now?

(the boy and the babe are wonderful, and that last picture of the three of you is a good picture!)

8:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home